Sunday, April 17, 2011

QnA: Weight Loss

QN - What did you do to lose weight?
Two things which I changed in the last few months has helped me lose at least 5kgs - diet and exercise.
QN - How did you get started?
What gave me hope was when a fitness assessor asked me last year what my goal would be and I told her I'd like to be the weight I was 10 years ago, she said that was possible and I actually believed her. I exercised hard and felt better about myself but didn't see any weight loss.
QN - What was the biggest factor to helping you lose weight?
Diet was the most important part because I don't have time or the motivation to exercise every day. 
  • A detox to start - a 5 day fruit and vegetable detox got me off to a healthy start, removing toxins and cleansing my system. 
  • Now - I have limited carbs (especially at night) and rarely eat out. 
  • Education - I read up on nutrition, calories and looked at different diets to make one that suited me.
  • Planning and cooking - I plan my meals and drink lots of fresh juice, avoiding processed foods almost all the time, making as much as possible fresh, such as pasta sauce, hummus and salad dressing. I try to find healthy foods that I like, vary my diet and always pack healthy snacks when I go out (nuts, fruit and dry crackers).
QN - You mentioned exercise, what did you do? 

I had a fitness assessment done at my gym. They identified that I wasn't pushing myself hard enough in my work out and increased the intensity. I also do more core training and weights now. I exercise in the morning before breakfast as you burn fat that way.



QN - So is there a secret to weight loss?
You have to want to live, eat and exercise to be healthy, that is really key. I have a pair of leather jeans that I would like to fit back into, and that is something I am doing for me. I jump on the scales and feel such a thrill when I see the needle has gone down another kilo. And this week people have been raving about how thin I am, so it has all been worth it.
QN - It's about attitude then?
Yes, you need to take positive steps to reduce your weight. Try your best and learn as much as you can as there is a vast number of resources out there. Most importantly, everything in moderation to stay safe and achieve real long-term results.

No comments:

Post a Comment