Sunday, May 23, 2021

The plague of self-doubt and how to manage it

Lately I've been feeling alot of self doubt. It's been a week of change, learning new things and facing some of my fears. When your inadequacies loom large, then your confidence wavers. 

I've had to take a break, step away from everything and recharge. Books, a movie and enjoying the spring antics of the animals has helped. Sleep has been a great healer. 

It's been important to remind myself of my accomplishments in my life and all that I have achieved throughout this period of self doubt. 

I had considered writing up a list of all the great things about myself. It seemed like it might be something that might be useful against the monster in my head. I didn't end up doing that, but I have done it before when I was feeling very low. 

People talk about courage and bravery with what I am doing. I am just muddling through and hoping for the best. At the same time, I now see that the skills and experience I've accumulated over the years have meant I am better equipped to handle it all. 

It's a funny thing to be under the cloud of self-doubt but then when the sun starts to shine down again, you settle back into the comfortableness of knowing who you are. 

Be kind to yourself. That is what we need to remember. The voice of self doubt is not the compassionate friend you need to be to yourself. Those thoughts aren't the sort of thing you would say to a friend or loved one. It's important to remember that when you the self-doubting becomes loud.  

Self doubt is challenging and can fuel anxieties, but it is manageable and there are lots of people, tools & tricks out there to help you. 

Even after you feel like you are managing to deal with the self doubt, you might wobble. A success mindset is another important tool which focuses on optimism and a long term perspective. 

Other articles you might find interesting on self-doubt and a success mindset are:



No comments:

Post a Comment