Sunday, October 3, 2021

Healthy snacking at night

A healthy lunch but you're still hungry

When you have salad and vegetables for lunch and / or dinner, you get hungry at night. You're trying to limit calories and be healthy, so what do you do?

You think about treating yourself, but you have been working out more and eating healthy. You really want to be good and not take away from all your hard work. 

I've been having an orange for dessert. I peel it with a knife. It takes longer, but I find that I'm giving my body time to digest my dinner and build up an appetite for dessert. 

If you're still craving more food, then a banana is a good go to. It is more filling and satisfying. 

So what if the banana is not enough? I have a few handfuls of nuts. It gives me that snacking motion of bite sized hand to packet to mouth eating. It is the treat. 

After the orange, banana and almonds, you hope you're satisfied, but you still feel like eating. Next comes yoghurt. It's full fat, flavoured and might have a bit of sugar, but it's creamy and you convince yourself it's like having ice-cream. 

After waiting 30 - 60 minutes between each snack, it's bedtime and I'm not feeling hungry any more. 

If I had wanted to eat something else, I might have tried a clementine or two. If I was desperate, I might have a second yoghurt. Then some melon. 

Worst case scenario, I'd resort to dry crackers or rice cakes. 

The key for me is variety. Since I've been eating healthier and exercising more, I've been going to bed earlier. 

You can read about this in some of my other posts:

Late night snacking tends to encourage very bad choices like chocolate, biscuits and crisps. If you have none of these at home, thst helps. Otherwise, you need will-power, healthy options and good habits.

The great thing is you wake up the next day knowing you achieved and maintained what you wanted. This is important for your self esteem, health and happiness. 

Be strong, stick to your goals and find your way to a balanced, healthy happy life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment