Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Lent - what would or could you give up and what does it mean?


Today is the first day of Lent - a period where you give up something for 46 days from Ash Wednesday.



Choccywoccydoodah Covent Garden 
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle cake in Choccywoccydoodah front window - May 2018
 Traditionally, it has been a period of fasting. Modern day habits such as alcohol and chocolate are also what many choose to give up for lent. That's right, no more visits to Covent Garden's Choccywoccydoodah for brownies.

I wondered what is a meaningful thing for me to give up. I have never done Lent and saw this as an opportunity to set myself a new challenge. I settled on television and have unplugged my set. Of course, practicality prevails and if I am at a friend's place, there's not much I can do. However, so long as I adhere to the spirit and good intention of not watching television until April 18, I'll deem it a success.

The idea of giving up something - whether it be dry January or veganary is an interesting way to reflect on our habits and lifestyle. Who we are and what we are dependent on can shape and drive us.

In many ways, this is about forming new habits, looking at what and how I can be happier and healthier. It is the gift of giving up and receiving.

I didn't have a television when I first moved to London. On holidays, I might not watch television at all. How has it become such a silent filler and time waster? For more than a year, I've wanted to watch less television. It has been the case of little desire or will-power.

I've dropped caffeine and alcohol for many years now. I feel these changes provide a clarity of mind, a healthier mindset, a happier life and a certain kind of freedom. It also creates all sorts of insecurities in others. Why do people feel uncomfortable around people who don't drink alcohol or eat meat? Why is difference so threatening? Much like race, gender, sexual preference or religion, there seems to be a need to be alike or with like. We are all human and yet somehow we do not seek similarities or shared goals.

This period of sacrifice is not more millenial burnout pressure. Rather, it is a way to have more time to do the things that I keep saying I never have time to do, such as meditate, sleep more, eat more healthily, read and write more and get in touch with people I never seem to have time to.

The idea of giving up is less desirable in a modern world which instead prefers more to less. Is it capitalism? Is it wealth? Is it social programming?

On the weekend, I saw at least a dozen homeless people and another dozen beggars on top of that. We are becoming poorer instead of richer. We are more powerless than powerful. Our values and society are meant to include the right to food and shelter. Somehow there has been an erosion in these beliefs and there is no concrete plan or action to ensure these are maintained.

My sacrifice for 46 days is a small one. It saves energy, earns me time and provides an opportunity to do something else for myself for Lent.

Another element of Lent is performing positive acts for each day - donating to a cause or letting someone ahead of you - in essence acts of kinder or being a kinder person.

For the pope's message on Lent, see here.

No comments:

Post a Comment