Tuesday, February 11, 2020

What Do You Do When You Feel A Winter Cold Coming On?

A bowl of fruit to snack on every day
Tonight I feel like I might be fending off a cold again and I checked with Dr Google. So tomorrow, I'll start my day with some hot water and lemon. I'll make a carrot, ginger and apple juice to go with my usual healthy fruits, oats & yoghurt breakfast, make some chicken soup and try to relax a little more.

Fresh carrot, apple & ginger juice in the morning
So whenever I've felt like I'm about to get a cold, I've been:
  • drinking more water, 
  • staying in my pjs, 
  • turning on the heater if it's cold, 
  • dettol door handles, light switches, taps and my phone, 
  • taking a nap, or 
  • resting in bed. 
It's strange doing these things because it is what I would do if I had a cold. Instead, I'm pre-emptively taking action.
Miserable 2019 Winter
Last winter I was constantly struck with the flu or consecutive colds and by the end of the four months, I was coughing, not sleeping, having difficulty breathing and needed steroids plus an inhaler from the doctor.

Lifestyle Changes
This winter I was determined to stay healthy. What I did:
  • detoxed for 5 days in November, 
  • did yoga in December, 
  • gym and a 2 week no salt and sugar detox in January, and 
  • now February I'm just trying to find a balance. 
Spirulina with Oats, Fruit & Yoghurt for Breakfast 
Since December I've also been on lots of different vitamins and supplements, including spirulina, wheatgrass and maca powders. Meditation has also been a much bigger part of my life.

I've also been trying to avoid crowded places particularly during busy times, especially the tube. This has made a huge difference. With the coronavirus situation worsening, it just seems prudent.

The government and media have been talking about covering you mouth when coughing and good hygiene practices. I wish they promoted this every year and made it more the norm. The only ones who benefit are the pharmaceutical companies and chemists when we get sick. The NHS would certainly have less pressure if we were all healthier.

Meat Free Dinner Tonight - Fried Egg with Vegetables

2020 More Meat Free Meals
My diet is generally super healthy with lots of fruits and vegetables. In 2020, I  also switched to more meat free meals, with meat and fish only a few times in the week. Instead, I have more carbs, mostly healthy wholewheat ones like spelt, sweet potato, wholewheat gluten free pasta, wild rice and brown rice flour.

Immunity Boosting
Spinach, oranges, apples, lemons, manuka honey and garlic are my go to foods to boost my immunity when I am feeling a bit under the weather.

This winter I've also been trying to do less, prioritising sleep and relaxation. I worked out that I need to have enough calories in my day or else I sleep less. I also try to take a few cherries and some milk before bed. Also, reducing screen time, writing before bed, listening to meditation tracks and not watching any tv seems to help.

So far it's been the occasional tickle in my throat, a runny nose when I go out in the cold, a few bouts of of dizziness for a couple of weeks and tiredness here and there. The last few weeks have felt more challenging to not get a cold or flu.

Walking by the Thames When it's Sunny
Lots of people are coughing and many have succumbed to a cold. February tends to be colder and without a sunny escape which used to be my staple, I am going for more walks in thermals, beanie, scarf and gloves.

I was taking extra Vitamin D last month and if I can get a bit of sun here and there or by eating more mushrooms, then I do feel better and know that I am doing all that I can to stay healthy.

Exercise and Relaxation


Finding Ways to Work Out
Tonight while waiting for dinner to cook, I did some weights and stretching. I find sometimes that if I am not at the gym, I am less motivated and I don't find the time to do enough exercise.

Today I made sure I went for a walk since Storm Ciara kept me in yesterday and it was sunny this morning.


I stop and listen to the birds tweeting. Up in the trees they flit about.

I take my big camera out and enjoy taking photos. It helps my creative juices to flow and to be more present.

Shadwell Basin the day after Storm Ciara
It's hard for me to not be busy and to remain focused on my health. I figure that when I do come down with a cold or the flu, it's my body's way of telling me to slow down. So this winter, I've slowed down and actually I am able to do a lot more because I'm not getting sick.

I'm not sure this is a lifestyle for every winter. I'm definitely in hibernation mode. Maybe it's a bit extreme. It is what I need right now.

Flowers Struggling in the Winter
Last year was disappointing in some ways though I know that I made progress in some things, it is hard to feel happy when some of my big goals seem like they are so beyond my reach at present.

Sometimes I think that we just have to change or tweak our lives to see what works. This seems to be ok for me. Hopefully both 2020 and this decade will be better. At least I haven't spent 4 months feeling unwell with a cold or flu this winter!

Some previous posts you might like to check out:
Some of the websites which had tips for fighting a cold:

No comments:

Post a Comment