Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Pancake day - easy pancakes 3 ways for breakfast, lunch and dessert

Today is Pancake day! I celebrated it a few days ago for several days and it was most enjoyable.


M&S raspberry eton mess that wasn't in store that day

It all started when I popped into an M&S store in search of their super yummy raspberry eton mess. There was none in store so sadly they may not be making them any more. So instead I had a tub of low fat vanilla custard in my basket and then I saw they had a large array of pre-made pancakes.

I used to love pancakes and make them quite often. These days I eat super healthy so no more pancakes and maple syrup or even better, with sauce and ice-cream!

So I selected a small pack of pancakes which were a bit crepe like and figured I could have a small treat.

There were 6 in the pack. I wasn't sure how I would eat them at that stage.

That evening, I had dessert and oh boy! I pan fried some bananas on baking paper so I didn't use much oil. Then I added the banana and custard to one of the pancakes. I rolled it up and baked it in the oven for 15 minutes. It was divine.



The next day I had another two heated in the oven pancakes for breakfast. I simply added my usual oats, fruit salad, home-made dried fruit & seed mix cinnamon and cocoa to the top. Instead of greek yoghurt, I had the custard. It was such a great breakfast and didn't feel too calorific either. I even hid two mint leaves in there which was a fun burst of flavour.

Lunch time - it was two pancakes again. I had leftover spelt and fish which I heated up. I added some rocket and mayonnaise. It was delicious and light.

The last pancake breakfast and that's the photo I've included. It's similar to the previous days breakfast concoction, but with fancier fruit - raspberries, mango and banana.

The pre-made were not at healthy or fresh, but definitely more convenient. It also meant I became more creative with how I ate my pancakes.

It was a fun few pancake days. If you're making them from scratch, I also recommend trying Japanese pancakes which you also buy this amazing brown sauce and mayonnaise  from Japanese grocery stores. I got mine from the Japan Centre near Picadilly Circus and it's called Otafuku Okonomiyaki Pancake Sauce. It's a bit pricey (£5) but I use it on omelettes, salads, noodles and actually on anything which needs a bit of sauce or flavour. It gives the meal a bit of a Japanese twist. Another great pancake option is using quinoa or coconut flour to make your pancakes.

I took inspiration from these recipes:

  • Japanese pancake recipe - I used quinoa flour from Wholefoods Supermarket and only had cabbage and corn in mine, none if the fancy stuff like bonito flakes or seafood. So great for doing a healthy vegetarian option. 
  • Pancake filled with crepe - this reminded me of the crepes I used to love at a little french place in Islington called Le Sacre Coeur. They have banana and rum. It used to be one of my favourite restaurants about seven years ago. 
Happy pancake day! I hope you have gained some inspiration and ideas from my little pancake journey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment