Thursday, May 30, 2013

c25k - learning to run when you've never run before

Everyone seems to be running, it is the latest craze and c25k has been my way in. I've never been a runner. As a child, I hated when we had 1.6km runs and the humiliation of coming last or second last. When you are a high achiever, you don't want to suck at anything. Running is one area in which I truly do suck.

So what is c25k?
It's an app which gets you off the couch and running 5km in no time through a program of walking and running.

Does it work?
I've only tried week 1 day 1. It seemed to go well, but three days later, I am in a world of pain, pain, pain. The reason - I did not stretch enough, both before and after. But I am determined to not give up, so I accept that I won't be doing week 1 according to the same schedule as the app, but that is ok, because I will be running 5k eventually. It's just important I start looking at warm ups, in between running sessions and my diet.

What are the benefits?
Running is a great goal and it provides great stress relief. It really does free your mind and release endorphins. Zumba is fun, dancing is great too and I've always been fond of weights, but running is in a class of its own. The c25k I think, could also be used for brisk walking. It's your own personal trainer, telling you to go faster or giving you permission to slow down again.

The pain
At 5am I have been reading online about whether others are going through pain like me, and the verdict is that it is very common, but to not give up. So how did c25k come about? It's birth seems to be a simple one, a guy wanted to get his mother running! And if you want to find out a little more - then check out -   No Pain, No Pain: The “Couch to 5K” and Humane Design

Now what should I do with all this pain? A good pair of running shoes might be what I need and discipline, perhaps some sort of solid warm up / down routine.

c25k - conquer your doubts
For me, running is more than just two feet on the pavement, pounding away, covering those miles and going the distance. It represents so much more. I always thought it was something I could never do. There is a part of me that feels that if I can do this, if I can run, then maybe I can do anything.
For the first time in my life, I suspect that I might be able to run, and that it is not an elusive skill for the elite and skilled few.

No comments:

Post a Comment