Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Losing My Detox Virginity

In my earlier blogs, I've mentioned detox and juices a number of times - Detox - What's it all about?, Boost Your Detox, More juice recipes! and A Healthy Nightcap. Recently I did my first detox. I kept it simple and aimed for three days but managed five. 

The Food - I limited my detox to fruit, vegetable, herbal teas and water. The first step was stocking up - buying lots of fresh fruit and vegetable. I let myself have as much fruit as I wanted since I figured I would need the sugar for energy. It helped that I wasn't working, so I could spend all day cutting up fruit and vegetable to blend or cook. Typically I made two to three fresh juices a day, had a salad and then cooked vegetables for dinner. I avoided all processed foods, oils and sauces so dinner was often very bland.

Exercise - Each morning I exercised, and if I wasn't in the mood, I at least did one session of yoga. I popped out of the house twice - once to go to an evening class (so I packed a few fruit snacks), and the other was to the gym (which was on day five and I had an amazing workout).

The Side Effects - I felt weak at times, had a few headaches and some bloating.

The Results - After the detox, I had better vision and sense of smell, a small amount of weight loss, I felt more energised, healthier and happier.

Post-detox - I eased out of my detox by having a small amount of chicken in my first post-detox meal, then added fish to my next one and bread to the third. For the most part, I've tried to be healthy since. I'd highly recommend trying one. It's one of my top ten best decisions  for 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment