Wednesday, March 30, 2022

Help! How can I stop eating unhealthy snacks?

Credit: S'well

Unhealthy snacking can become a bad habit and cutting it out cold turkey can be hard. It can be done. 

It starts with a smoothie in the morning. I put away the unhealthy snacks into a cupboard I rarely open. It's high up on the top shelf. 

I place several healthy options on the table: an apple, bananas, grapefruit and nuts. They will be the first thing I see when I wander in looking to eat something. 

A glass of semi-skimmed milk is followed by a substantial cold lunch of leftovers. I've moved the yoghurt to a place in the fridge that will remind me to eat it. 

Intention and preparation makes a difference. 

Yesterday I didn't have any unhealthy snacks. After one day, the habit is broken. I hope!

Today I started with grapefruit and melon. The spinach smoothie was my snack. Peanuts, a yoghurt and a banana were great when I got hungry. A substantial cold lunch of leftovers again and I had a lighter vegetarian dinner. I knew I might feel like snacking so I had an orange for dessert. 

Plus I squeezed in a 30 minute workout before dinner. Exercise helps my healthy living attitude. 

It's been a successful day. 

I'm not on a diet. I've not been eating the  worst unhealthy snacks. However I want a healthy lifestyle. I want to make better choices. 

Junk food is rubbish. You are filling your body with calories that have little or no nutritional value. Would you fill your car up with gas / petrol that you know is bad for the engine? 

Snacking is about boredom, not having big enough meals, or feeling tired and needing an energy boost. I know I'm tired and not sleeping as much as I should. I want to address that. In the meantime, I want to stop reaching for unhealthy snacks. Unhealthy snacks like chocolate and icecream should be the exception rather the norm. 

Today I was thinking I need to make a batch of energy balls. They make great healthy snacks. 

Think about:

  • Why you are eating unhealthy snacks?
  • What good habits help you snack less or not at all?
  • What healthy substitites do you like?
  • What is one thing you can do now to help you cut out or cut back on unhealthy snacks?
  • Why are you committed to being healthier and are you willing to make changes? If so, when will you start?

Cutting out unhealthy snacks is not mission impossible, but it does require a commitment to achieving that goal. 

These articles might interest you:





No comments:

Post a Comment