Monday, July 18, 2011

No job and money problems - an opportunity to do great things

The financial crisis has affected many people and finding a job and overcoming money problems is challenging. The most important thing is to take back control of your life. It's easy to complain, and blame the banks, politicians, you parents, your employer and many other people. But doing that won't help you.

When I hit rock bottom
I've had several moments in my life when I thought I was hitting rock bottom. However they turned out to be opportunities to change my life and do what I really wanted to do. I started to think about my life and what I wanted, then I took steps to achieve what I wanted most. I scored a few dream jobs, travelled, stumbled into a few different careers, made some wonderful friends and have had the best time of my life. 

Finding a new job
I've learnt to think outside the box. Look for opportunities anywhere and everywhere, you'd be surprised how you can find a job these days. Be open to trying new things, taking a risk and making the most out of your situation. See it as an opportunity rather than a bad thing that has happened. You have to make sacrifices, be willing to make difficult decision and take a leap of faith. It has been so worth it. The key is to not give up, to persevere, work hard, swallow your pride.

How to change your life
Sit down write down your options, realistic and unrealistic. Decide what you want to do. Come up with a plan, identify what could go wrong and how you can manage the risks. Have a back up plan. Talk it over with someone you trust and  who's advice you value. Then take it one step at a time, reassessing everything as you go along. It's scary but it will make you happier ultimately because you are being true to yourself. .

Many people are going on to do further study, travelling, working abroad, taking up hobbies, renewing friendships, starting their own business, trying new things, having babies - you name it, they are doing it. 

Read more! There's a wealth of resources. Here's a few you might be interested in:
Everything happens for a reason. It's a lesson I've learned innumerable times. And some of the worst things that have happened to me has given me amazing opportunities. Almost everyone I've met hates their job but they don't do anything about it. We all indulge in luxuries we don't really need. Though we've had a recession and unemployment is high, smart phones, ipads and other gadgets are performing extremely well. There is money out there and jobs, but you have to be smart about how you go about getting a piece of that pie and finding that opportunity which is waiting for you. Good Luck!  .

No comments:

Post a Comment