Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Spicy Hummus - My Battle with Dried Chickpeas

Ho hum what a conundrum making hummus! It took a few attempts but finally I got there. I managed to make my first tastes-like-the-real-deal hummus.


There are so many variations on the hummus and recommendations as to how to make this snack which is high in protein and fibre. I checked my local supermarket brand and the ingredients were basic - chickpeas, tahini, garlic, water, salt and lemon. Doesn't sound hard, right?

The Chickpea Challenge - Well my first challenge was wrestling with the dried chickpeas. The canned variety are full of preservatives and I'm trying to keep it as natural as possible. One of my earlier attempts, my chickpeas were too hard, I'd soaked them overnight and boiled them, but they remained chunky and I basically ate it by the tablespoon as it was quiet hearty. I didn't have enough water in the overnight soak and also during the boiling process. Also, I may not have kept them on the stove long enough.

Tips- What worked for me was soaking them overnight with lots of water, then boiling them for two hours, with salt and sunflower oil, also topping up the pot with water at the one hour mark. I also added some of the water from the pot into the food processor until I got to the right consistency.

My version uses chili, a dash of cumin and paprika. It does add much more flavour adding spices. I tried with cayenne pepper and it was ok. Also, more salt and water also brought out the taste and texture.

It was worth the persistence and it tastes terrific. Plus, I feel like I've conquered the mighty chickpea!

Ingredients
100g of dried chickpeas
1 tablespoon of tahini
the juice from 1 lemon
1.5 cloves of garlic
1/2 a chili (seeds included)
1/2 teaspoon of paprika
1/2 teaspoon of cumin
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 cup of water (from the boiling stage)

The Road to Spicy Hummus
1. Soak the dried chickpeas overnight - I covered the base of a small container with chickpeas and filled it to the brim with water (about 4 cm in height). My chickpeas soaked for at least 12 hours.
2. Discard the water and use fresh water to boil the chickpeas for 2 hours. Some can manage on 1 hour. I added sunflower oil and salt to my boiled water to help flavour and heat the water. Some people suggest adding onions, celery, chicken stock and other ingredients to enhance it (but I didn't as I wasn't sure how it would affect my hummus).
3. Take the chickpeas out of the pot to cool for 15 minutes but remember to save the water it boiled in.
4. I blend my garlic and chili first, then add the chickpeas. It looked powdery and fluffy at this stage.
5. I added the tahini and water, a little at a time, then salt and sunflower oil, checking taste, texture and consistency as I went along. It took about 3 rounds before I felt that I had added enough salt and water that I added the paprika and cumin.

Serving Suggestions - Serve with carrots, celery, pita or bread. I prefer my pita toasted as I don't like how it tastes a bit floury when it is plain. If you are entertaining, you could make different types of hummus, just leave out the chili, for a base. Some suggestions include roasted pepper, tomato, carrots and avocado. You can use a mixture of white and wholemeal pita or various breads.

Health Benefits -  Chickpeas are the primary ingredient and count towards one of your five a day. In addition to fibre and protein, it has omega 3, zinc, folate, calcium, phosphorous, magnesium and it is a healthy source of carbs for insulin sensitive people. It contains lemon and garlic, which are great sources of Vitamin C and help with boosting your immunity. Apparently protein can make you happy too.

Notes
  • Difficulty - Medium 
  • Preparation Time - 30 minutes
  • Ready - in 16.5 hours
  • If you use canned chickpeas, it only takes 30 minutes and start from step 4. 
You may also be interested in:

    May you have many hummus adventures too!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment